About the Program
The Indigenous Internship Program seeks to find Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students paid casual or part-time work in a business related to their course of study. So, for example, instead of working in Hospitality or Retail while they are studying, if they’re an Accounting student, we’ll try to match them with an Accounting firm. This could be at one of the big 4 Accounting firms, a Bank, a smaller practice, or even in the Accounting department within a large company. While their classmates are working in a restaurant, they’ll be getting real-world experience relative to the subject they are studying.
The work might be casual or part-time hours during the term, and then more full-time hours over the breaks. When they graduate they’ll already have 2-3 years of work experience in that field, which gives them a massive edge over non-indigenous graduates – helping to CLOSE the GAP!
You’ve been training, developing and mentoring the student throughout their studies, it only makes sense that you look to them first when choosing your graduate employees.
Benefits to your Business
- Meet your Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) goal by increasing the number of Indigenous employees in your organisation
- Mentoring and developing future Indigenous leaders in your business
- Providing opportunities for Indigenous students to gain valuable corporate experience
- Creating a more diverse workforce
- Meet your RAP goal by utilising an Indigenous business in their supply chain
Benefits to the Students
- Paid work in a job related to a future career
- Build relative skills to complement their field of study
- Gain insight into corporate culture and networking
- Find a mentor to guide them on their journey
- Greater motivation to complete the course
- Greater motivation to study harder and achieve better grades
Help Close the Gap!
There is a multitude of benefits to all parties involved, but we created our internship program as a vehicle to help Indigenous students gain paid, casual or part-time employment in a field related to their studies and future career.
We think you and your colleagues might be able to help Close the Gap by being part of achieving fantastic long-term employment outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and leading the way in creating a diverse, culturally inclusive workforce.